Sunday 14 November 2010

Son Of Noise


Last post of the day is just a quickie to remind everyone (and myself) that I do actually collect 'proper' records as well as the stupid odd-ball curiosities.

When I was last over Rarekind they had a copy of this up on the wall and Old Man Mac McRaw commented he'd never seen it before, so for him, and anyone else who might have previously overlooked it, I thought I'd post it up here...

I bought this 12" back in 1993 on release, at a time when the Golden Era of hardcore U.K. Rap was pretty much fading out. It's kinda split in styles with the A-Side, which I've never been that keen on, leaning towards an American influenced production sound, whereas both cuts on the B-Side fit more comfortably into the typical Britcore mould which, for me anyway, is the reason for owning the record. I've uploaded three tracks from the twelve and there's also a Radio Edit of 'Crazy Mad Flow' but I haven't bothered including it here.

The main version is produced by Kobalt 60 of 'Kaos From Order' fame and also features a nice verse from Atom. There's a video for this track which is a worthwhile watch but it's the Son Of Noise 'Urban Alien Mix' that really delivers the goods along with the other flip side cut, 'Retrocide 93'. Both are heavy on the Incredible Bongo Band sampling tip, and definitely won't disappoint fans of their earlier material. Mada and Renegade execute those trademark killer scratches on 'Retrocide', which is the faster of the two tracks, and Curoc rides the beats well with his typical hardcore battle rhymes. Classic Son Of Noise.


Well, I said it was gonna be a quickie, so that's it. Check out the tracks below and if you like what you hear drop Ewan at Rarekind a line to see if he's still got a copy for sale. Failing that Discogs is well stocked.



"Crazy Mad Flow" (Urban Alien Mix)



"Retrocide 93"



"Crazy Mad Flow" (Unedit)




6 comments:

Leo Slayer said...

Yup, Retrocide is definately the one! Thanks for the heads up...

moyinka said...

i still have my copy of this, one of my all time faves. i remember reading a review, probably in HHC and Curoc being taken down a peg for sounding too American by saying the word 'motherfucker' too much and talking about oreos.

Kid Dyno said...

damn I traded this piece around 10 years ago.

Now I'm regretting it!

Kid Dyno

Anonymous said...

Yeah ! Curoc is killing it on Retrocide ! One of the craziest rap song ever ! Too bad he ain't doing this kind of stuff no more...

Analphabetapolotholgy said...

Retrocide makes me think of the harder Kool G. Rap tracks (see 'Still Wanted Dead or Alive'). The scratching is mean as hell.

Greetings from US Stateside. Your blog has led me to unearthing many a great UK treat that I hadn't heard before. It's also good to warm up to other releases I haven't seen in a while.

Great work!

... said...

i got a shout out on the back for designing the LIttle Rascalz logo, i was only about 16 so was well chuffed : )